The long, wide street begins from the north side of the Palazzo Ducale°°, and was used for centuries as a harbour. The canals which once flowed through the centre of Modena, merged here into the “Naviglio” and then went onto the Po. Here the wonderful Ducal Bucentaur was moored, here Carlo Goldoni left Modena for Venice. And so it was a real focal point for commerce and transport, closing only in 1858-9.
On the right side of the street, the edifice is used by the Military Academy (the so-called Montecuccoli barracks, and ex church and ex convent of the “Visitazione”). On the left side, there are many aristocratic palaces.
At number 41, Palazzo Boschetti Galliani was built from the middle of the XVII century and then restored in the following century. It has an elegant facade and a wonderful XVIII century garden. The interior was decorated by Francesco Vellani and Giuseppe Dallamano.
At number 59, Palazzo D’Aragona Coccapani°.
This aristocratic urban developement is known as “Terranova”, wanted by Ercole II Duke of Ferrara, in the XVI century.
Finally, interesting buildings are towards the end of the street. Particularly, from the middle of the XIX century: Palazzo Bordolli (number 90), Palazzo Corsari (107), Palazzo Scapinelli-Schiavi (103), Palazzo Rizzi (113), .
On the right side, the 19th century entrance to the Ducal Gardens: the statue represents the XIX century Modenese Patriot and deputy Nicola Fabrizi (1804-1885). At the end of the street, the monumental Tempio dei Caduti.