The long street which skirts the northern wing of the Palazzo Ducale°° was opened at the end of the XVIII century, separating the Ducal Gardens from the palace.
Originally, the city centre finished here: the actual bulge, extending north with streets thinning out, is due to town developement of the first half of the XVI century by the Duke of Ferrara, Ercole II. A new area of urbanization (similar to the one in Ferrara) was laid out, called ‘erculea’ and known as ‘terra nuova’.
Leaving the park behind, on the left the imposing Ducal Palace°° is connected by a bridge to the barracks on viale Vittorio Emanuele II°, the wide avenue that starts on the right. Really interesting is the northern side of the palace, dating back to the XIX century, built around a beautiful courtyard decorated with Estense eagles.
At number 17, after via 3 Febbraio 1831 (the date of the insurrection leaded by the patriot Ciro Menotti), San Carlo Secondary School occupies part of the block of San Domenico.
On the right, the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli (so-called ‘Paradisino’).
At number 21, the important State Archives° stands on the corner with via Sgarzeria (at the end of this street, the recently restored and huge ex Tobacco Factory).
At number 60, Palazzo Guidotti, from the name of an ancient, aristocratic Modenese family. At 64, one of the entrances (the other is in via Ganaceto) to Palazzo Molza, seat of the Chamber of Commerce.
At the end of the street, viale Achille Fontanelli separates the enormous esplanade of the Novi Ark, dominated by the Foro Boario°°.