Modena has had a University since 1175: it is the fifth oldest in the world!
During the centuries, its seat has changed many times, but in 1773 Duke Francesco III decided to build this palace near the church of San Carlo°.
The project was by Francesco Tadolini and Andrea Tarabusi (G. F. Zannini according to others).
In the first court, wrought iron gates by Giovan Battista Malagoli (late XVIII century) and marble columns. The busts on the walls celebrate the famous people who studied here: Bernardino Ramazzini (founder of the industrial medicine), Giambattista Amici, Ludovico Antonio Muratori.
On the right, the grand staircase with three flights is roofed by a landing rich with stucco work and decorations. The great hall conserves wooden seats and a painted coffered ceiling.
Another staircase, by the famous XX century architect Arturo Prati, leads to the Rectorate.
For many years seat of the Law Faculty, now transferred to the convento di San Geminiano, the palazzo is occupied by a rich legal library and by offices.